Friday, April 3, 2009

wendys, law school, or prositution (it is the worlds oldest profession)

So, I'm unemployed. It's a long story. One that I would rather not go into at this point because it will just make me angry and irritated. I have been on 15-20 interviews in the past couple of weeks. YES. 15- 20 interviews. Now, most people are saying things like "Wow, atleast you are getting an interview." Really!? To me, it is beginning to seem like I am failing miserably once I get to the interview processs. I have found that there are three things that I keep hearing over and over again. 1. I am overqualified 2. I do not have recent clerical experience 3. They have many other people to interview, so after that, they will be making their decision.

Now, let me address them starting with number three. Ya, I know you probably have other people to see and interview, but I am sick of hearing this and never getting a call back. I guess it's the standard "I'll call you, don't call me" let down.

Number two: I do not have recent clerical experience. WTF???? My last office job was 4 years ago. Please, someone out there tell me what has changed in land of office equipment in the past four years. Is the new MSOffice some, crazy hard program to use? Are fax machines now run by tiny robots that I don't know how to operate? Wait, I got it, it's the answering phone part, isn't it? I still need an explanation for all this new technology.

Number one: I AM overqualified. I know this. I am an educated woman, who holds a bachelor's degree from the University of Florida. Not too shabby. So, i know I am overqualified. I know the job market sucks and I need a job. Oh, did I mention the part about being pregnant. So ya, I need a job. I have no problem sitting there answering your really advanced phone system (see rant above) knowing that I have four years of school behind me. I don't care right now that I am overqualified. I would have never applied to your crappy, barely over minimum wage job if I didn't already know what I was getting myself into. Note to employers: Do you really think I don't know that I am overqualified???? Maybe these employers should get with the employers that think that I do not have recent clerical experience and beat their heads on their desks until they come up with a better line.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should redo your resume, omit the education part and work the dumb, barefoot and pregnant angle...it sounds like that is what they are looking for in the work force these days!!!!

    oh, and SO HAPPY YOU ARE HERE IN BLOG LAND!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well thanks for the comedic relief i just got from your ranting.. however i do still prefer the "in person rant" that you have mastered so proficiently!

    ReplyDelete